Viget is a digital agency / software development shop headquartered just outside of Washington, DC, (in Falls Church, VA) with additional offices in Durham, NC, Boulder, CO, and Chattanooga, TN. We've been at it since 1999 and have earned a solid reputation as a rare firm that does both great design and development work when building digital products and marketing platforms.
At Viget, Digital Project Managers are much more than just project coordinators -- they’re project leaders. They work collaboratively with clients to understand organization goals, define solutions, answer hard questions, and ensure the overall quality of a project. They facilitate tasking, budget management, and day-to-day communication with clients and internal teams. They are both empathetic and results-driven, cultivating a culture of efficiency, innovation, trust and progress on their projects.
As a DPM at Viget, you’ll lead a variety of projects, including software development efforts. You’ll facilitate product design sprints, define and prioritize requirements, collaborate with our brilliant designers and developers to design and build products, support user research and testing, lead quality assurance, and celebrate thrilling launches. More than any other role at Viget, you’ll contribute to all areas of a successful project.
Here are a few examples of the kind of work you’d lead:
- redesigning the Human Rights Campaign’s website with a tested information architecture, an easy-to-edit CMS, and a brilliant new design to help HRC better demonstrate their commitment to making information and action accessible;
- overhauling the brand and technical communication for NFL Players Association using in-depth research to understand what the NFLPA truly means to players and apply those learnings via innovative development and content strategies;
- building an MVP for Project Beacon to better operationalize the COVID-19 testing process all the way from scheduling to results;
- taking a founder’s idea for Optify from concept to prototype to a well-defined product equipped with a name and brand strategy.
If these are challenges that you would thoroughly enjoy, then this job might be a fit for you.
You'll also need to communicate, collaborate, and lead effectively. Here are the things we're looking for:
- You’re a polished and persuasive communicator (without BS-ing). You consistently listen, synthesize, write, and speak better than most people.
- You were born with an awareness of and appreciation for details.
- You get made fun of by your friends because you’re “too” organized (as if THAT’S possible).
- You meet deadlines across multiple, simultaneous projects.
- You build long-term relationships with clients based on thorough planning, timely and professional communication, and intelligent problem-solving.
- You’re solution-oriented. You don’t just identify problems, you synthesize solutions.
- You’re comfortable closely managing project budgets. You can work with internal teams to manage their time within constraints, transparently communicate budget health to clients, and lead prioritization discussions to help clients understand tradeoffs and collaboratively identify solutions that work with their timelines and budgets.
- You have a "thick skin" when the going gets tough. If and when conflicting demands emerge, you communicate diplomatically to reach a resolution.
- You demonstrate integrity through your words and actions.
- You love processes and plans, but you’re flexible. You can create an effective project plan and timeline, but are comfortable enough with ambiguity to adapt the plan when things change.
You'll need to be able to work well in our technical environment. Here are things we’re looking for (note: we recognize that you may not have done all of these before, and that's okay):
- You have worked in a fast-paced software development environment before, whether at an agency or product company.
- You know how the web works and how a web app works, which means you’re aware of technical constraints when talking to clients. You don’t hesitate to ask a lot of questions in order to define the functionality of what we’re building.
- You can break down a set of wireframes into actionable tasks for back-end and front-end developers. You’re passionate about finding innovative, efficient, and effective ways to document those tasks.
- You can shepherd often-vague client requests and ideas through the definition process. You know when to rely on a UX designer, but you’re comfortable thinking through logic and creating useful documentation of that logic.
- You’re able to describe workflows and tasks purely from an end user’s perspective, helping developers make informed implementation decisions.
- You’ve performed QA. You can distinguish a bug from a functional update from a new feature request. You don’t write merely good bug reports. You write better bug reports -- or, at least, that’s your goal each and every time.
Generally, successful candidates will have between 3 and 8 years experience managing digital projects. We support a hybrid workforce with a mix of both in-person and remote work. Based on the team's current needs, we are actively looking for candidates in the DC Metro area for this role. If the role has piqued your interest and you think you’d be a fit, and don’t quite meet the requirements, we still encourage you to reach out.
How to Apply:
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Emily and Erica on Viget's People Team. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace. In order to meet the diverse needs of our clients and make the digital world better for everyone, we seek to expand the diversity of our team. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. If you are a person with a disability and require accommodations or assistance during the application process, please email email@example.com.