We are no longer accepting applicants to our Fall 2020 cohort.
Viget’s Application Developer Apprenticeship is designed to provide practical knowledge and experience for recent graduates of a code school, 4-year degree program, and, in some cases, appropriately motivated self-taught individuals.
As an application development apprentice, you'll develop web applications using Elixir and the Phoenix framework. You'll work side-by-side with a dedicated advisor and gain valuable exposure to client projects. You'll embrace test-driven development—that is, writing tests for all functionality before writing the code itself. You'll join in developer meetings, hack nights, and pair programming. You'll take part in meetings with our clients to see how development expectations are defined for projects from the outset. You'll meet weekly with our Senior Developers to discuss your progress.
- The Application Developer Apprenticeship is offered as a remote position this year for US-based candidates.
- The apprenticeship lasts 10 weeks, from September 14 to November 20, 2020.
- Apprentices are expected to work 40 hours/week (9-5, M-F, but we can be flexible).
- Total compensation of $6,000.
- You must have the permanent, legal right to work in the US. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
About You (You may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!):
- You've had significant coursework in computer science (major not required), relevant professional experience building web applications, or have recently graduated from a code school.
- Elixir and Phoenix: you know it or can learn it fast. Experience with Ruby on Rails is also helpful.
- While not exactly a requirement, we love to see any contributions to an open source project. David explains why.
- You know the importance of clarity. Communicating effectively with teammates and clients in order to clarify requirements will come naturally, and you identify as being a problem solver at your core.
- You have an insatiable curiosity. You love learning new languages and technologies.
- You value collaborating across all disciplines, and are eager to work alongside user experience and visual designers, front-end developers, data analysts, and project managers to produce quality digital products and software.
- You don’t get stressed easily, and can manage your time effectively against a deadline.
- You want to be a professional web developer.
What You’ll Learn:
- Application development with Phoenix
- Functional programming techniques
- Relational database design
- Unit and integration testing
- Advanced git usage
How to Apply:
Please use the form below to introduce yourself. We ask that everyone attach their resume and submit a thoughtful cover letter, which we hope will include specifics about your interest in the Viget Apprenticeship program and how your previous experience and career goals relate to the position described. The form goes directly to Margaret, so feel free to write it as an email to her. She will reply as soon as possible. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated. Note: If you're interested in more than one Apprenticeship role, you only need to submit one application. You'll have a chance to let us know later on if you'd like to be considered for more than one role.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We value the new perspectives and contributions of each person who joins Viget. In order to meet the diverse needs of our clients and make the digital world better for everyone, we seek to expand the diversity of our team. We designed the Viget Apprenticeship to accelerate the professional development of career-changers and individuals early in their careers, and we encourage people from underrepresented groups in particular to apply.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Emily and Margaret on Viget's People Team. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.