Application Developer Apprentice
Our application developers solve problems using code. As an application development apprentice, you'll develop web applications using Ruby and the Rails framework (or a similar framework in Python or Elixir). You'll embrace test-driven development—that is, writing tests for all functionality before writing the code itself. You'll join in developer meetings, hack nights, and pair programming. Viget’s Application Developer Apprenticeship is designed to provide practical knowledge and experience for recent graduates of a code school, 4-year degree program, and, in some cases, appropriately motivated self-taught individuals.
As an apprentice, you'll be part of the development team and work alongside a dedicated advisor. You’ll shadow other developers, gain exposure to client projects and deliverables, contribute to projects when you’re ready, and experience the cadence and pace of a full-time job at a digital agency. Throughout the program, you'll meet regularly with your advisor to track progress on personalized learning goals.
- The program lasts 10 weeks, from September 11 to November 17. You must be available for the full 10 weeks.
- This is a hybrid position. The apprenticeship program is offered at all four of our office locations (Falls Church, VA; Durham, NC; Chattanooga, TN; and Boulder, CO) with flexibility to WFH (Work From Home) some of the time. Relocation is not provided.
- You are expected to work 40 hours/week (generally 9am-5pm your local time, M-F).
- Total compensation is $6,000. Apprentices do not receive health benefits.
- When working from home, you need a stable internet connection and a quiet workspace.
- Apprentices must have the permanent, legal right to work in the United States and must live in the United States.
About You (You may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!)
- You’re interested (and ideally have some experience) in programming for the web.
- While not exactly a requirement, we love to see any contributions to an open source project. David explains why.
- You have an insatiable curiosity. You love learning new languages and technologies.
- You value collaborating across all disciplines, and are eager to work alongside user experience and visual designers, front-end developers, data analysts, and project managers to produce quality digital products and software.
- You want to be a professional web developer.
- You’re a graduate of a bootcamp or relevant college degree program, or you’re highly self-motivated and self-taught. You’re eager to work with an advisor / mentor.
- You’re proactive and get things done. You manage your time effectively. No matter what you're doing, you take pride in your work.
- You’re a clear communicator verbally and in writing. You’re a good listener and enjoy collaborating.
What You’ll Learn
- Web programming fundamentals
- Application development with a modern web framework (e.g. Rails, Django, Phoenix)
- Functional and object-oriented programming techniques
- Relational database design
- Unit and integration testing
- Advanced git usage
How to Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for our Fall 2023 apprenticeship. If you’re interested in hearing more about Viget and being notified when applications open next June for our Fall 2024 cohort, sign up for our newsletter.
Viget is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where all of us feel valued and heard. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, socioeconomic status, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you have any questions or need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.