Viget’s Application Developer Apprenticeship is designed to provide practical knowledge and experience for recent graduates of a code school, 4-year degree program, and, in some cases, appropriately-motivated self-taught individuals.
As an application development apprentice, you'll develop web applications using Ruby and the Rails framework. You'll work side-by-side with a dedicated mentor and contribute to client projects. You'll embrace test-driven development—that is, writing tests for all functionality before writing the code itself. You'll join in developer meetings, hack nights, and pair programming. You'll take part in meetings with our clients to see how development expectations are defined for projects from the outset. You'll meet weekly with our Senior Developers to discuss your progress.
- The Application Developer Apprenticeship is offered at our Durham, NC office.
- The apprenticeship lasts 10 weeks, from September 10 - November 16. Apply by July 27.
- Apprentices are expected to work 40 hours/week (9-5, M-F, but we can be flexible).
- Total compensation of $6,000.
- Relocation is not provided.
- You must have the permanent, legal right to work in the US. We do not sponsor visas.
About You (You may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!):
- You've had significant coursework in computer science (major not required), relevant professional experience building web applications, or have recently graduated from a code school.
- Ruby on Rails: you know it or can learn it fast. Experience with front-end frameworks like React is a bonus.
- While not exactly a requirement, we love to see any contributions to an open source project. David explains why.
- You like talking to people. Communicating effectively with clients will come naturally, and you identify as being a problem solver at your core.
- You have an insatiable curiosity. You love learning new languages and technologies.
- You value collaborating across all disciplines, and are eager to work alongside user experience and visual designers, front-end developers, data analysts, and project managers to produce quality digital products and software.
- You don’t get stressed easily, and can manage your time effectively against a deadline.
- You want to be a professional web developer.
What You’ll Learn:
- Application development with Ruby on Rails
- Object-oriented programming techniques
- Relational database design
- Unit and integration testing
- Server provisioning & deployment
- Advanced git usage
How to Apply:
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Viget, and how your previous experience relates to the position described. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Emily and Erica on Viget's People Team page. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Viget maintains a drug-free workplace. Please note, we are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.