WordPress Developer Apprentice
At Viget, WordPress Developers are responsible for the configuration, architecture, custom development, and support of WordPress sites. They work closely with our UI developers who are responsible for the visual and interactive layer of the site. There’s so much you can do with WordPress! Viget’s WordPress Developer apprenticeship is designed to provide practical knowledge and experience for recent graduates of a code school, 4-year degree program, and, in some cases, motivated self-taught individuals who are excited and passionate about WordPress development.
As an apprentice, you'll be part of the Platform Development team and work alongside a dedicated advisor. You’ll shadow other developers, gain exposure to client projects and deliverables, contribute to projects when you’re ready, and experience the cadence and pace of a full-time job at a digital agency. Throughout the program, you'll meet regularly with your advisor to track progress on personalized learning goals.
- The program lasts 10 weeks, from September 11 to November 17. You must be available for the full 10 weeks.
- This is a hybrid position. The apprenticeship program is offered at all four of our office locations (Falls Church, VA; Durham, NC; Chattanooga, TN; and Boulder, CO) with flexibility to WFH (Work From Home) some of the time. Relocation is not provided.
- You are expected to work 40 hours/week (generally 9am-5pm your local time, M-F).
- Total compensation is $6,000. Apprentices do not receive health benefits.
- When working from home, you need a stable internet connection and a quiet workspace.
- Apprentices must have the permanent, legal right to work in the United States and must live in the United States.
About You (You may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!)
You have experience building or maintaining sites with WordPress and have ventured into custom theme or plugin development.
You are collaborative. You'd enjoy working alongside both our development and design teams, communicating effectively through Slack, email, or over video calls.
You are detail-oriented and can appreciate the need for keeping a buildout in line with its design.
You are empathetic. You can see problems from the perspective of others who might differ from you.
- You’re a graduate of a bootcamp or relevant college degree program, or you’re highly self-motivated and self-taught. You’re eager to work with an advisor / mentor.
- You’re proactive and get things done. You manage your time effectively. No matter what you're doing, you take pride in your work.
- You’re a clear communicator verbally and in writing. You’re a good listener and enjoy collaborating.
What You’ll Learn
The foundations of WordPress development: theme and plugin development.
How to structure a WordPress site with complex data needs utilizing custom post types, custom taxonomies, the block editor, and common plugins, like Advanced Custom Fields.
Best practices and cutting edge tools and technology used by professional WordPress developers.
Quality assurance best practices and processes, ensuring your work functions as intended.
How to collaborate and work side-by-side with a cross-functional Viget team, especially UX designers and UI developers.
How to Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for our Fall 2023 apprenticeship. If you’re interested in hearing more about Viget and being notified when applications open next June for our Fall 2024 cohort, sign up for our newsletter.
Viget is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where all of us feel valued and heard. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, socioeconomic status, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you have any questions or need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.