Visual Designer Apprentice
Designers at Viget make well-informed, creative digital products and experiences and work with cross-disciplinary teammates to understand business problems and conceptualize solutions that have meaningful impact. They communicate their processes and solutions to teammates and clients through sketching, prototyping, storyboarding, and presentations.
As a Design Apprentice, you'll work alongside Viget's Creative team and our diverse range of clients to take powerful concepts and make them usable to audiences of varying interests. You’ll immerse yourself in design strategy, principles, systems, and concepting to better identify client needs and opportunities for growth.
You’ll provide design support on various projects and join meetings to experience client presentations and design consultations. You’ll also participate in creative exploration and applied design exercises, and join recurring creative team meetings to share process, provide feedback on teammates’ work, and foster creativity. Throughout the program, you'll meet regularly with your advisor to evaluate goals and ensure that you're on the right track to achieving them.
- The program lasts 10 weeks, from September 11 to November 17. You must be available for the full 10 weeks.
- This is a hybrid position. The apprenticeship program is offered at all four of our office locations (Falls Church, VA; Durham, NC; Chattanooga, TN; and Boulder, CO) with flexibility to WFH (Work From Home) some of the time. Relocation is not provided.
- You are expected to work 40 hours/week (generally 9am-5pm your local time, M-F).
- Total compensation is $6,000. Apprentices do not receive health benefits.
- When working from home, you need a stable internet connection and a quiet workspace.
- Apprentices must have the permanent, legal right to work in the United States and must live in the United States.
About You (you may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!)
You’re driven and a self-starter. You have a diverse portfolio of work or relevant side projects, extracurriculars, experiments, or explorations.
You’re creative and take things beyond surface level solutions. You do the kind of work that makes someone say, “I wish I’d thought of that.” You’re aware of trends enough to stay ahead of things considered trendy without falling victim to them.
You’re curious. A good challenge intrigues you because you love solving complex problems. You’re analytical and seek to understand how things are made and function. You have original ideas and experiment with new methods.
You’re courageous. You have an opinion and you’re not afraid to challenge conventions, or take a stand.
You communicate well. You write concisely and pay attention to details. You’re persuasive and pitch ideas convincingly.
You have a keen eye. You’re able to explain what’s good, what isn’t, and why.
You’re a humble person with notable integrity. You’re respectful and use discretion when it comes to differing viewpoints.
You’re hard-working and put in the time. You’re resilient to unfavorable feedback and seek to understand it. You’re relentless when it comes to making things as good as they can possibly be.
You have good awareness of the current digital landscape and familiarity with both existing and emerging tools. You understand technical limits and find creative solutions in spite of them.
You bring something extra and unique to the team dynamic, whether it’s experience, knowledge, or ideas.
You are a graduate of a bootcamp or relevant college degree program, or you’re highly self-motivated and self-taught. You’re eager to work with an advisor / mentor.
You are proactive and get things done. You manage your time effectively. No matter what you're doing, you take pride in your work.
You are a clear communicator verbally and in writing. You’re a good listener and enjoy collaborating.
What You'll Learn
- Establish a deep understanding of foundational design principles
- Understanding project briefs and project deliverables
- Conducting lightweight research and identifying useful results
- Brainstorming and articulating ideas in a team
- Identifying core problems and goals
- Creating deliverables that successfully convey ideas and recommendations
- Identifying key insights about business problems
- Developing strategic solutions driven by Insight
- Taking an idea from concept to execution
- Using various tools—from pen and paper to digital software—to clearly communicate desired outcomes
- Receiving and applying feedback/critique
- Refining and improving an executional idea
- Foundational understanding of digital design software: Figma, Principle, Whimsical, etc.
How to Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for our Fall 2023 apprenticeship. If you’re interested in hearing more about Viget and being notified when applications open next June for our Fall 2024 cohort, sign up for our newsletter.
Viget is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where all of us feel valued and heard. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, socioeconomic status, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you have any questions or need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.