Startup Demo Event Tonight
I've talked with a number of folks over the past year or so -- both entrepreneurs and investors -- about how to organize more events where startups can show off what they're working on. My take has always been that something informal would work best -- where the demos are simple and short, the audience is whomever wants to attend, and the expectation is just to have a bunch of interesting people discussing web products.
So, when Paul Worsham described Startup Rockstars, I was all for it. I think DC needs more stuff like this, and we specifically built our office to be able to support these kinds of events. So, a couple months ago, we hosted folks from five businesses who presented their ideas, and tonight we're doing it again. The lineup includes:
- BrandClik - www.BrandClik.com - BrandClik is a next generation in-text advertising platform designed to bolster the bottom line for online publishers, deliver increased results to advertisers while protecting their intellectual property, and enhance the online experience for readers. The approach is consumer friendly, non-confusing, and provides a win-win situation for both content providers and advertisers.
- CreateDebate - www.CreateDebate.com - CreateDebate is a social debating web site that helps users make better decisions by understanding various viewpoints on any given issue. Users can add evidence to their arguments from a variey of media, and the best arguments rise to the top of the debate through a democratic voting process.
- evDeliv - www.evDeliv.com - These folks give users the ability to order anything from pizza to sushi thanks to their list of diverse restaurants in the Washington, DC, region. Their ordering process is straight forward and easy, and users credit and personal information is stored on their own computers.
- GamerVixens - www.GamerVixens.com - "Empowering Women, One Gamer at a Time."
- OurCoupleSpace - www.OurCoupleSpace.com - This company helps couples have stronger and happier relationships by tapping the wisdom of the best experts and the smartest couples. They're aiming to become as much the choice of unhappy couples seeking to revitalize their relationships as Match.com is the site of choice for singles seeking a mate.
- ZippyJobs - www.ZippyJobs.com - Zippyjobs is the only local, campus-based job site. Their mission is quite simply to help college students earn cash and stay in school.
The event tonight will run from 6 to 7:30 pm. If you're interested in attending, sign up here. After the presentations, the group will wander up the street for drinks at Dogwood Tavern, so feel free to join there, too.