Regarding Recent Events
We’ve been busy little event organizers here at Viget lately, with a couple of iPhone Hack Days (one at each office) and Developer Day Boston all coming in the last several weeks. In case you missed ‘em, here’s how things went down.
iPhone Hack Days
We’ve been seeing a lot of interest in iPhone development, both from clients and from developers - and there is a flurry of activity going on in the framework space, with Rhomobile, PhoneGap, Titanium, and more all competing to make iPhone development easier. It made perfect sense, then, for me to run a couple of half-day-ish workshops on the platform, both introducing Objective-C and the process for creating native apps (and walking people through the code for my own application in the process), and digging in deeper to a couple of the frameworks.
At the HQ Hack Day, we just had Viget developers (and a lone UX guy) working, but we had a ton of fun. For the Durham version, we invited in a few local developers to bring in people with diverse backgrounds and interests. Brent Collier posted his thoughts about the event, and we got some nice comments on Twitter, as well:
- @brentmc79 At Viget Labs hacking around with some iPhone development... http://yfrog.com/2rnhij - link
- @rmurphey great day at iphone dev camp @viget -- obj c ugh. titanium and phonegap ftw. - link
- @brianjlandau Learning a ton about iPhone development with all the @viget south devs from @bscofield - link
Developer Day Boston
- @vandrijevik @thoughtbot's flutie is sexay! Enjoying @croaky's talk and demo of heroku-suspenders. #developer_day - link
- @wrycoder Compelling pitch for document databases by @bscofield. Relationships as first class objects. May even check out some comics. #developer_day - link
- @PhilDarnowsky Continuous Integration: writing better applications by harnessing the power of shame. #developer_day - link
- @SaraJChipps @LostInTangent right now I'm learning about box-shadow it's freakin rockstar. css 3 stuff. #developer_day - link
- @Croaky microsoft mvc framework looking sharp these days. rails-like, cheaper tools than The Old Days, includes jQuery. #developer_day - link
- @marcamos Just heard about the Selenium plugin for Firefox, via @jeresig, here at #developer_day. I'm in love. - link
- @csspixel #developer_day was awesome. Met some great people. - link
- @rkalajian I'm finally home. #developer_day kicked ass. Met some great people, listened to great talks. Can't wait for next year. - link
Every Developer Day adds a little something to the previous ones, and Boston was no exception. We started videotaping talks, and after some review we’re hoping to post them publicly. This is also the first Day where we had shirts for the attendees - take a look!
Plans for the next Developer Day are underway, so keep watching the web site for details - and a new design, coming very soon.