We build great software that people really use—and with a little elbow grease (okay, a lot), so can you.
As a software development intern, you'll develop web applications using Ruby and the Rails framework. You'll build and launch several applications, starting with a simple blog and culminating with your own custom creation. You'll embrace test-driven development—that is, writing tests for all functionality before writing the code itself. You'll join in developer meetings, hack nights, and pair programming. You'll take part in meetings with our clients to see how development expectations are defined for projects from the outset. Throughout the summer, you'll meet weekly with our Senior Developers to discuss your progress.
- Developer internships are offered in our Durham, NC office.
- Internships last 10 weeks.
- Interns usually train for 40 hours/week (9-5, M-F, but we can be flexible).
- Relocation is not provided.
What We Look For (You may not have all of these, and that's okay!)
- You've had significant coursework in computer science (major not required).
- Ruby on Rails: you know it or can learn it fast.
- While not exactly a requirement, we love to see any contributions to an open source project. David explains why.
- You have an insatiable curiosity. You love learning new languages and technologies.
- You value rich web designs and would enjoy working with designers.
- You want to be a professional web developer when you graduate.
- You have superb written and spoken English.
- You have top grades or a track record of success.
- You are currently enrolled in a four-year academic institution, preferably as a junior or senior.
- You have the permanent, legal right to work in the US. We do not sponsor visas.
- We offer a stipend of $2,500/summer, paid monthly on a pro rata basis. Course credit is also an option.
- We provide free soft drinks and snacks.
- We hold Free Lunch Fridays (our weekly all-hands meeting).
- You’ll join our Third Third Thursday event (a quarterly company-wide off-site meeting, which will take place in July).
- You’ll experience Viget at its most vigorous. Think: summer activities, challenges, hang-outs, etc.
How to Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for our Summer 2019 internship. Check back in early 2020 for information on our 2020 Summer Internship, or take a look over our apprenticeship program.
Viget is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.