Viget is a digital agency / software development shop headquartered just outside of Washington, DC, (in Falls Church, VA) with additional offices in Durham, NC, Boulder, CO, and Chattanooga, TN. We've been at it since 1999 and have earned a solid reputation as a rare firm that does both great design and development work when building digital products and marketing platforms.
Our UX Managers play a dual role within the UX team. As a manager, you will work closely with your direct reports to support their skill development and help them achieve their career goals. As a UX Designer you’ll help our clients research, plan, and launch complex digital experiences and compelling websites. Your work will include project discovery, user research, workshop facilitation, information architecture, content strategy, and wireframing.
At Viget you will work alongside industry-leading brand strategists, creative and product designers, researchers, project managers, and developers. Our teams also collaborate directly with clients that offer great variety — from major brands like ESPN and Dick’s Sporting Goods to world-changing nonprofits like WWF and HRC to emerging startups like Standard Cognition.
When we can, we also share our methods and opinions about design.
As a Manager, you will:
- Manage a team of up to five UX Designers.
- Provide regular 1:1 support to your direct reports, mentoring them in their design and consulting skill development, as well as providing coaching when project challenges arise.
- Facilitate the annual performance review process for your direct reports, helping to create a meaningful career path for them.
- Contribute to client work while also being a manager. This helps our managers’ design skills remain sharp while they support and shape the career paths of others. Project commitments and workload vary based on your number of direct reports.
- Work closely with an experienced and collaborative UX Director who oversees the overall UX team and will share people management responsibilities.
- Collaborate with other UX team leaders to influence UX Design best practices at Viget, project planning and outcomes, and the overall success of the company.
- Assist with knowledge-sharing sessions, team meetings, annual team offsites, and general leadership at the team level.
- Participate in monthly people management team meetings.
- Influence, champion, and assist with internal initiatives and company events.
- Have around 6+ years of experience as a UX Designer as well as a track record of team leadership, mentorship, or prior management experience.
Our UX Designers:
- Lead teams in understanding complex systems and communicating those systems in ways that drive a better understanding of opportunities.
- Collaborate with their peers to design high quality digital experiences and websites.
- Never tire of using creative user research methods to gather critical insights about what users really need and identify strategic opportunities for our clients.
- Have an innate sense of – and strong opinion about – good usability when it comes to digital design. Are also able to clearly express their opinions in ways that build consensus.
- Understand established web standards and device affordances and are constantly educating themselves about digital design trends.
- Expertly present recommendations – to team members and clients, alike – on elements such as functionality, content, and navigation.
- Consistently meet deadlines and are considerate of clients’ project budgets and timelines.
- Take pride in listening, communicating, and collaborating exceptionally well.
Everyone at Viget:
- Embodies our core values of integrity, work ethic, collaboration, creativity, and lifelong learning (especially important as we continually evaluate and embrace new tools and technologies).
- Values mentorship, learning, and sharing knowledge.
- Writes and speaks clearly and effectively when collaborating with teammates and clients.
- Participates in our commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company.
How to Apply:
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Viget, and how your previous experience relates to the position described. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Erica and Margaret on Viget's People Team. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace. In order to meet the diverse needs of our clients and make the digital world better for everyone, we seek to expand the diversity of our team. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. If you are a person with a disability and require accommodations or assistance during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.