Viget’s UX team provides a range of services - including research, strategy, and design - to clients that range from early-stage startups, to established nonprofits and for-profits. When we can, we also share our methods and opinions about design.
As an apprentice, you'll participate in all aspects of the UX process, including concept development, user research, content strategy, information architecture, and interaction design. You'll work alongside a dedicated mentor and contribute to client projects and deliverables, join meetings and experience client presentations and design consultations. And, throughout the program, you'll meet regularly with your mentor to identify and make progress on personalized learning goals.
- The User Experience Design Apprenticeship is offered in two of our office locations: Falls Church, VA, and Boulder, CO.
- The apprenticeship lasts 10 weeks, from January 21 to March 27, 2020.
- Apprentices are expected to work 40 hours/week (9-5, M-F, but we can be flexible).
- Total compensation of $6,000.
- Relocation is not provided.
- You must have the permanent, legal right to work in the US. We do not sponsor visas.
About You (You may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!):
- You have some professional, post-collegiate experience in a design- or digital-related field, or you’ve recently graduated a UX or design training course.
- You’ll never tire of talking to real users and customers in order to effectively solve problems.
- You enjoy diving into technical details and working with teammates to define implementation details and requirements.
- You’re familiar with design and wireframing software (like Illustrator, XD, Sketch, Figma, and Omnigraffle) or are confident in your ability to quickly become comfortable with these tools.
- You have an innate sense for—and strong opinions about—what makes good site or a good product. You keep a mental list of sites and products you love and those you hate.
- You're passionate about technology. You're the first among your friends to know about the latest trends, methods, and tools in the web and tech industries.
- You get things done. No matter what you're doing, you take pride in your work. You enjoy responsibility and you know that real effort pays off daily.
- You also take pride in listening, communicating, and collaborating exceptionally well.
What You’ll Learn:
- You’ll learn how to effectively communicate with clients, through the lens of being a consultant and problem solver at your core.
- You’ll help conduct research and discovery at the onset of a project and dive deep into a client’s industry and business challenges.
- You’ll collaborate with designers, copywriters, developers, digital analysts, and project managers to define strategies and concepts to address those challenges. Often, you’ll be the one to identify these challenges, too.
- You’ll learn how content strategy fits into a redesign strategy, and how it complements a usable, thoughtful information architecture.
- You’ll evaluate interfaces and audit sites for usability issues, and practice how to present your findings and recommendations.
- You’ll hone your interaction design skills, working in tools like Figma and Sketch.
- Best of all, you’ll work alongside multi-disciplinary teams to produce amazing digital products and platforms.
How to Apply:
Please use the form below to introduce yourself. We ask that everyone attach their resume and submit a thoughtful cover letter, which we hope will include specifics about how your previous experience relates to the position description and why you want to work at Viget. The form goes directly to Margaret, so feel free to write it as an email to her. She will reply as soon as possible. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Emily and Margaret on Viget's People Team. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Viget maintains a drug-free workplace. Please note, we are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.