Viget is a digital agency headquartered just outside of Washington, DC, (in Falls Church, VA) with additional offices in Durham, NC, and Boulder, CO. We've been at it since 1999 and have earned a solid reputation as a rare firm that does both great design and engineering work when building digital products and marketing platforms for a wide range of clients. The Hardware Lab at Viget is a source of pride and inspiration for Viget’s staff and clients alike. We’ve launched cutting-edge products, transformative experiences, and delightful stunts, and look forward to increasing our reputation and portfolio in this space with your help.
This is a dream job with ample opportunity for experimentation, autonomy, and learning, as well as the chance to have a big impact on a thriving, growing company. As a Hardware Developer at Viget you’ll help concept, design, build, and launch complex in-person experiences and compelling connected products. Your work will include all aspects of the design and delivery process including sourcing, prototyping, fabricating, and electrical and mechanical design. You’ll be our only dedicated Hardware Developer working alongside industry-leading software developers (several of whom have hardware skills as well), creative designers, user experience designers, researchers, and project managers. In between projects, you’ll write about your processes, tools, and opinions.
Our Hardware Developer should:
- Have formal training and prior experience building connected hardware and one-off experiences. Past projects should be documented in an online portfolio.
- Embody our core values of integrity, work ethic, collaboration, creativity, and lifelong learning (especially important as we continually evaluate and embrace new technologies).
- Have a track record for taking initiative and being a leader; this role requires self-direction, drive, and the ability to break complex problems into incremental steps.
- Be a realist with a bent towards optimism, thanks to your knack for problem-solving.
- Speak, write, and collaborate exceptionally well. Your ability to document your process and reflect on your work will influence the long-term success of hardware at Viget.
Our Hardware Developer needs to:
- Be savvy about how manufacturing decisions impact a product’s scalability and maintainability.
- Be familiar with modern engineering approaches including web applications, fleet management utilities, wired and wireless communication protocols.
- Be able to manage their own firmware prototypes.
- Be versatile with Eagle or KiCad, and able to navigate Digikey like a bloodhound.
- Have a firm grasp on EE best practices including board layout (both prototyping and production), rework, PCBA, etc.
- Know their way around CNC, laser, welding, and other fabricator tools and methods.
- Reduce execution risk by engineering it away.
- Be able to find, vet, and collaborate with both onshore and oversea contract manufacturing partners.
- Reliably estimate material costs and timelines, and proactively communicate project progress with clients and teammates.
How to Apply:
Introduce yourself using the form below. Our recruiter, Erica, will respond as soon as possible.
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Viget, and how your previous experience relates to the position described. We hope to see an online portfolio showing examples of your previous hardware projects.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Emily and Erica on Viget's People Team. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Viget maintains a drug-free workplace. Please note, we are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.