We are no longer accepting applicants to our Fall 2020 cohort.
Designers at Viget make well-informed, creative digital products and experiences and work with cross-disciplinary teammates to understand business problems and conceptualize solutions that have meaningful impact. They communicate their processes and solutions to teammates and clients through sketching, prototyping, storyboarding, and presentations.
As a Design Apprentice, you'll work alongside Viget's Creative team and our diverse range of clients to take powerful concepts and make them usable to audiences of varying interests. You’ll immerse yourself in design strategy, principles, systems, and concepting to better identify client needs and opportunities for growth.
You’ll provide design support on various projects and join meetings to experience client presentations and design consultations. You’ll also participate in creative exploration and applied design exercises, and join recurring creative team meetings to share process, provide feedback on teammates’ work, and foster creativity. Throughout the program, you'll meet regularly with your advisor to evaluate goals and ensure that you're on the right track to achieving them.
- The Design Apprenticeship is offered as a remote position this year for US-based candidates.
- The apprenticeship lasts 10 weeks, from September 14 to November 20, 2020.
- Apprentices are expected to work 40 hours/week (9-5, M-F, but we can be flexible).
- Total compensation of $6,000.
- You must have the permanent, legal right to work in the US. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
About You (you may not be all of these things yet, and that's okay!):
You’re driven and a self-starter. You have a diverse portfolio of work or relevant side projects, extracurriculars, experiments, or explorations.
You’re creative and take things beyond surface level solutions. You do the kind of work that makes someone say, “I wish I’d thought of that.” You’re aware of trends enough to stay ahead of things considered trendy without falling victim to them.
You’re curious. A good challenge intrigues you because you love solving complex problems. You’re analytical and seek to understand how things are made and function. You have original ideas and experiment with new methods.
You’re courageous. You have an opinion and you’re not afraid to challenge conventions, or take a stand.
You communicate well. You write concisely and pay attention to details. You’re persuasive and pitch ideas convincingly.
You have a keen eye. You’re able to explain what’s good, what isn’t, and why.
You’re a humble person with notable integrity. You’re respectful and use discretion when it comes to differing viewpoints.
You’re hard-working and put in the time. You’re resilient to unfavorable feedback and seek to understand it. You’re relentless when it comes to making things as good as they can possibly be.
You have good awareness of the current digital landscape and familiarity with both existing and emerging tools. You understand technical limits and find creative solutions in spite of them.
You bring something extra and unique to the team dynamic, whether it’s experience, knowledge, or ideas.
What You'll Learn:
- Establish a deep understanding of foundational design principles
- Understanding project briefs and project deliverables
- Conducting lightweight research and identifying useful results
- Brainstorming and articulating ideas in a team
- Identifying core problems and goals
- Creating deliverables that successfully convey ideas and recommendations
- Identifying key insights about business problems
- Developing strategic solutions driven by Insight
- Taking an idea from concept to execution
- Using various tools—from pen and paper to digital software—to clearly communicate desired outcomes
- Receiving and applying feedback/critique
- Refining and improving an executional idea
- Foundational understanding of digital design software: Figma, Principle, Whimsical, etc.
How to Apply:
Please use the form below to introduce yourself. We ask that everyone attach their resume and submit a thoughtful cover letter, which we hope will include specifics about your interest in the Viget Apprenticeship program and how your previous experience and career goals relate to the position described. The form goes directly to Margaret, so feel free to write it as an email to her. She will reply as soon as possible. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated. Note: If you're interested in more than one Apprenticeship role, you only need to submit one application. You'll have a chance to let us know later on if you'd like to be considered for more than one role.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We value the new perspectives and contributions of each person who joins Viget. In order to meet the diverse needs of our clients and make the digital world better for everyone, we seek to expand the diversity of our team. We designed the Viget Apprenticeship to accelerate the professional development of career-changers and individuals early in their careers, and we encourage people from underrepresented groups in particular to apply.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about Emily and Margaret on Viget's People Team. You can also get to know us better on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.